Monday, May 19, 2008

Grim Reaper of Employment

Yep, that's me. The Grim Reaper of employment.

I don't know who knows this, but I just started a job about a month ago. I got a job so that Ryan and I could save up money before the baby...and I guess so I wasn't lounging around on the couch for the rest of my life. As mentioned a couple of posts ago, employment with this company hasn't been that great recently but only because of the huge idiot that I worked with. The company as a whole was awesome, and the owners were great, and everyone that trained me was super cool. It was the kind of job that I would have been cool with to be at till I had the baby. Easy, stress free, and casual.

Well, on Friday, we had an emergency company wide meeting (3 states and about 20 different offices) and the two owners of the company announced that they were closing the company. Everyone was in shock...the phone lines were dead silent, it was seriously crazy. I am not that stressed out about it thankfully...I feel worse for everyone else who has been with the company for a long time, and the owners who are losing their houses. After the announcement they gave everyone the rest of Friday off, and luckily we get one month's severance.

On my way home from work, I stopped by Sarah's work to say hi and tell her my news. This is when she told me: "You are like the place that companies go to DIE", "You are the Grim Reaper of employment" ...so funny and so true. After she said that I really got to thinking about all the places that I have ever worked, and I found out that she is really right. Most of my places of employment have either gone out of business, been bought out because they were sucking or had to downsize because they were sucking. Check out my job history, starting with my first ever job when I was 17 (I will still include the few lucky ones that I think may still be functioning:

MILLER'S OUTPOST: went out of business and then later Anchor Blue bought it

DR. ANDREWS ORTHODONTICS: as far as I know he still going strong, but I don't know for sure

ACCS: I am not positive but I think this one had to make a lot of dramatic changes a couple of years after I left.

QUEST SOLUTIONS: out of business

DOWNEAST OUTFITTERS: okay fine so this one is still okay too. Maybe in my younger years I wasn't so deadly yet.

BRG: unfortunately still going strong, but almost went under because the HR dude stole $350,000 from them one year. (This is the one company that SHOULD have gone under)

BRG CODING DEPARTMENT: eliminated....they fired everyone who worked in this department, including me...making this twice that I have been fired from BRG.

SEA LION CAVES: the family that owned it since it was open sold it to someone because they were going under.

EPROMO: out of business

THE CANYONS SKI RESORT: Being bought out because they were going under

PARADIGM FINANCIAL: out of business

FOUNDATIONS INSURANCE: severely downsized, almost went of business

INTERMOUNTAIN HEARING CENTERS: out of business

So there you have it...out of 13 jobs, only 3 survived or remained in a prosperous condition. So, if there are any future employers of me out there reading this...I would think twice before hiring me.

(For those of you related to me who want wedding pictures, I should have the link for our picture sharing site today. I will email you with it, so don't get your panties in a wad...love you!)

9 comments:

Julia said...

You crack me up. Can you come visit me and make my company die? I'm really tired of working here. Cant wait to see pics!

Erin said...

maybe that could be my new job! people could pay me to come to companies that they want dead ...and I will take care of it for them...like a hitman kind of.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your wedding pics! What a fun time we all had together - and then you go home and make another company die?!?!!

Emily said...

OK...scarey! I'm sorry, but I can never hire you...love you, but we can't afford you. We don't need any help going down with this economy!!!

a said...

hehehe, you're too funny! i guess add grim reaper of employment to your list of "skills". ha!

Cassie said...

I guess you are quite the employee! Does that mean you weren't the employee of the month this month?!? :)

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Busy B Preschool said...

That is hilarious. You must be the grim reaper of businesses. You always get me laughing, just like old times.

andi said...

Wow. Death becomes her :) Maybe you could just get a consulting job to put companies outta business. How much would that pay?