So, my cleaning went well...and the hygienist told me I had very nice teeth...blah blah blah. Then they X-rayed my one tooth (number 26, it's a frontish tooth on the bottom). There was no cavity, or anything and the X-ray looked good. But the dentist wanted to do further testing because it was slightly discolored (just slightly, like maybe one shade not as pearly white as the rest of my teeth, okay). So, he used this very handy air blowing tool and blew some air on a tooth that we knew was good...nothing happened. Then he did the same thing on my bad tooth...and, um, yeah...that hurt. Next he sticks this giant metal hook on my cheek like he was going fishing or something. He said something about "grounding me" and I was like "yeah, whatever. Just do what you gotta do and get the hook off of my face." I had no idea what he was about to do...but next thing I know he had stuck something else in my mouth, and made me yelp out in pain as he apparently electrocuted one of my good teeth. I mean, why does he have to go and do something like that to a perfectly good tooth, one that isn't discolored, one that isn't causing me any pain. At this point I need all the teeth I can get. So, I asked him, "what the heck was that?!" Then he explains to me what he is doing and that if my other tooth is dead then I shouldn't be able to feel what I felt on my good tooth, when he does that to my bad tooth.
Next thing I know that thingy is going back in my mouth on my very sensitive, very hurty, very tender tooth. And.....NOTHING. Nothing happened, I felt nothing. "What does this mean?" I asked the dentist after he removed the giant fish hook from my face. "This means your tooth is dead." I told him that "my tooth has so much more life to live, why did it have to die at such a young age? There are so many more great meals to eat, so many new tastes to try, so many more apples to bite into. Why did it have to be poor little ole' number 26? I mean what did it ever do to anyone?" He had no explanation except that "sometimes these things just happen".
So, my number 26 tooth decided that it would just give up hope. It had no fight left. Apparently it was sick of being the only slightly crooked tooth in my mouth and it couldn't handle the other teeth taunting it. But now it will never know what it's missing. So, yesterday I went back in for a root canal (my first), and the dentist removed number 26's painful little infected root, and now all that remains is a shell of tooth that once lead a glorious life in line with all it's other fellow teeth. The pain is gone now, but so is the soul of number 26.
R.I.P number 26, rest in peace.
9 comments:
Can we please have a memorial service for Number 26? I'll wear black and a big floppy hat and everything.
I have a similar tooth. It has just a "shell" of life...literally.
Fell on my face when I was 10 or 12, killed one of my two front teeth...they sucked out the inside and filled it in with who knows what and a little bleach to keep it white...look close and you might be able to tell which one is grayer...
I was ten or 12. My parents were paying the bill and I was not quite vain yet...
So I don't think my loss was quite as "poignant" as yours!
Still chuckling... I think I need to make a list of favorite posts to revisit and yours will be the top of my list. And if you have a memorial for number 26, can I come? You wrote with such eloquence and familiarity that I feel quite invested now.
bwaaahaahahaha!
ahem... I mean... I will miss Number 26. She meant a lot to me. I don't know if your smile will ever be the same without her. She died so young....
The baby killed it! Now you have something to hold against him his entire life. Those little suckers suck the life out of you...and your poor little teefers. I never had cavities (ok, ok, I never went to the dentist to even find out if I had cavitites, but that's beside the point). Then Li'l Mil gets born and WHAM--I've got 5.
Poor li'l #26. I think we should have a moment of silence.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Thank you.
I just read this out loud to Michael and Jack as a little bedtime story. What a sad ending. Poor little 26. I loved that tooth. We all had a good cry. Thank you for passing on the sad news. Hopefully you will bond quickly with the new replacement 26.
Ok. How the heck did you make such a simple dentist's appointment such an incredible story? I was captivated. You are sooo funny and so cute. I could just picture you saying these things. Sorry about the dead tooth. I haven't gone to the dentist forever either. That darn insurance is too spendy!
You are one funny girl! I'm sorry you had to go through that! I had a tooth that died in college and there I was with no insurance too- bummer. Luckily it wasn't a tooth that I needed and they just yanked it. I still hate the dentist though, really, who doesn't??
I loved Number 26. I guess that just means Number 27 has some big shoes to fill. (Poor lil thang, I hope the root canal wasn't miserable, yikes!)
Post a Comment