Monday, August 13, 2007

Moon Lake

Okay, this is still part of the catch up that needs to happen since I was such a slacker for so long. We went to Moon Lake weeks ago, and here I am, just now, posting about it.

So, anyway, as I just said, a couple of weeks ago we went to Moon Lake with Cory and Heather. It was so pretty! and the weather was so much nicer than where we live. First off, it wasn't nearly as hot there as it was at home, and it actually cooled off at night (and by cooled off, I mean it got pretty cold.) We got up there on Sunday evening after church, set up camp, and went directly to the lake to try and catch some fish. Lets just say we spent most of our time at the lake trying to catch fish, and did not catch one fish...NOT ONE!!!! what we really needed to do was rent a boat and go out onto the lake, but the boats they had there were kind of sketchy. My idea of fun was not to spend 90 bucks on a boat that would get us stranded in the middle of giant lake, with no way to get back to shore.

We only stayed one night, but stayed pretty much the whole day Saturday, and got back pretty late Monday night...tired, hungry, dirty, and stinky. Taking a shower never felt so good!
Cory brought this beat hammock and set it up right after we got there. Lets keep in mind that we only stayed there one night and one day. But by the amount of stuff we brought, and the way our camp looked, you wold think we were staying for a week.
Here is our little camp site. our tent is on the left...with an air mattress in it...yep, thats how we roll (thats really how I roll. I like me a good nights sleep.)
This is Heather showing off her spoils. We went into the woods to gather some branches to burn in our fire.
More from our wood gathering excursion. That's Cory.
This is what happens when to big guys try to sit in the hammock together...it breaks, they fall, and Heather and I take pictures. I didn't get my camera fast enough to post the totally precious pictures of the two brothers in the hammock together.



Swimming was pretty interesting in this lake. The first place we tried to go swimming was kind of weird. Moon Lake is a resevoir...so it used to just be a river with trees and stuff growing on the sides. But now it's covered by water and silt, and the plants under the water and silt are decomposing, and methane gas is coming up out of the ground. So, you will be standing there and all of the sudden all these bubbles will come up underneath you...creepy. Also the water is pretty cold, so it was hard to get in. when we finally found a place to go in that had minimal bubbles and not as goopy dirt to walk on...we went in. That's Ryan floating in the tube, me standing there contemplating whether or not to get in (I did eventually), and Cory was the first to get all the way in, but he ran out pretty fast after that. It was a really fun little trip though, and I definitely want to go back some time.

5 comments:

a said...

So fun! Love camping, and am glad to see that there's others out there who do as well :)

andi said...

That looks fun! You always take fun trips. And you're right, a lake that creates its own flatulence IS a bit creepy.

And also, I'm glad you put in a picture of the broken hammock. I kept waiting for it- knew that was bound to happen!

Julia said...

Camping is great, camping by a lake is even better! I want to go camping with you! I'll teach you how to pee in the woods :)

Beth said...

Well, look at all my little camper cousins.. aren't you guys so cute and outdoorsy!! So.. where's the motel? Close by? Camping has never been my forte. Maybe it's because the first time I went, my sister and Nyle stuck me in a tent with all of the food (BEARS) and then it snowed. I freezed my .... off. Fun stuff, that camping.

barb said...

i'm jealous. if we tried to go camping here you would be reading our obituary the next day.

R.I.P. Mike and Babs